The following material is from Francis Barnard (ca. 1616–1698) and his Descendants, A Genealogical Study, Part A, by Walther M. Barnard, Version of 09 August 2009, pages 2–10. Used with permission.
Francis Barnard1 (ca. 1616–1698)
Francis emigrated from England, arrived in Massachusetts (as did several other unrelated Barnards), and was among the early settlers of Hartford, Connecticut (certainly by 1644, per his marriage there), and Hadley and Deerfield, Massachusetts (1659 and 1673, respectively). Prior to the American Revolutionary War (1775–1783), his descendants resided principally in Massachusetts and Connecticut. Thereafter, some removed to Vermont, and many migrated westward, settling mainly in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin (or the territories that subsequently formed these states). Many Loyalists (“Tories”) removed to Nova Scotia and Lower Canada (Ontario) during and immediately following the Revolutionary War. Today descendants of Francis live throughout the United States and Canada.
Frederick Adams Virkus, editor, Immigrants to America Before 1750: An Alphabetical List of Immigrants to the Colonies,before 1750, compiled from official and other records (originally published Chicago, 1929–1932; exerpted from The Magazine of American Genealogy, Section IV, Numbers 1–27, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1965, p. 169), gives the following for Francis and his immediate descendants [formatted for easier reading online]:
BARNARD (Bernard), Francis
- (b. Coventry, Eng., abt. 1617-d. Hadley, Mass., Feb. 3, 1698),
- came from Eng. to Dorchester, Mass., 1636, in the “Freelove;”
- settled at Hartford, Conn., by 1644;
- removed to Hadley, abt. 1659; freeman, 1666;
- lived in Deerfield few years but returned to Hadley, 1673;
- petitioned the government for money due him, 1683;
- m. 1st, Hartford, before Aug. 16 or 26, 1644, Hannah Merrill or Meruil or Marvin (d. Hadley, 1676), prob. sister of Matthew Marvin and Reinhold Marvin;
- m. 2d, Aug. 21, 1677, Frances (Foote) Dickenson, dau. of Nathaniel Foote and widow of John Dickenson;
issue (1st marriage):
1–Hannah (b. abt. 1646-d. May 13, 1739);
- m. 1st, Oct. 9 or 17, 1667 (Sheldon says 1669), John Westcar (d. Sept. 1675), of Hadley; physician;
- m. 2d, Oct. 9, 1680, Simon Beaman, of Hadley and Deerfield;
2-Joseph (b. Hartford, abt. 1648-d. Deerfield, Sept. 6 or 18, 1695), settled at Northampton, Mass.;
- removed to Deerfield;
- mortally wounded by Indians, Aug. 18, 1695;
- m. (Savage says July 13 or Dec. 13, 1675 or Jan. 13, 1675/76), Sarah (b. 1656-d. Deerfield, Feb. 10, 1734), dau. of Elder John Strong, of Northampton (she m. 2d, 1698, Capt. Jonathan Wells);
- 6 sons, 5 daus.;
3-Samuel (b. abt. 1654-d. Oct. 17, 1728), settled at Hatfield, Mass.;
- freeman, 1678;
- styled capt.;
- m. Nov. 5, 1678 (Sheldon says, Oct. 30, 1678), Mary Colton (b. abt. 1651-d. Mar. 4 or 5, 1709), dau. of George Colton, of Longmeadow, Mass.;
- 2 sons, 3 daus.;
4-Thomas (b. abt. 1657-d. Oct. 13, 1718), Harvard College, 1679;
- settled at Andover, Mass.;
- ordained as colleague with Dane, 1682;
- m. 1st, Dec. 14, 1686, Elizabeth (d. Oct. 10, 1693), dau. of Theodore Price, of Salem, Mass.;
- m. 2d, Apr. or May 28, 1696, Abigail Bull (d. Aug. 19, 1702);
- m. 3rd, July 20, 1704, Lydia Goffe;
- issue (1st marriage): 3 sons;
5-John (kld. at Bloody Brook, Sept. 18, 1675), no issue;
6-Sarah (d. Hadley, 1676);
(see A36-A317-C810-C1126a-C1127i-E378-G164-G190-IAG45-M669h-M670w-M671k-M671m-M1432-S1822). [Note: The partial list of books given on p. 6 of this book gives only the following: A36-Abridged Compendium of American Genealogy; A317-American Ancestry; G164-Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England.]
The 1636 arrival date of Francis has also been noted in a typecript of family history and genealogy “list” written by Julienne Barnard (1892–1986) (a 9th generation descendant of Francis): “D’après la compilation généalogique du Media Research Bureau, de Washington, B.C. [MRB. 1110 P. Street, Washington D.C. — The Name and Family of Barnard. Copie dactylographiée p. 3.], Frances Barnard, le chef de cette 1ignêe, venait de Coventry (Warwick), Angleterre, vers 1636, s’établir dans ce qu’on appelait alors le Nouveau Monde.”
At the present time, little is known about the antecedents of Francis and his relationship to the other early Barnards. Francis has been linked as a brother to Bartholomew (died ca. 1698), an early settler of Hartford, from whom is descended another prominent line of Barnards in central Connecticut, and to their supposed common father and grandfather, but there is no concrete evidence to support these relationships, not withstanding a proliferation of pedigrees posted on the Internet. However, both Francis and Bartholomew settled in fledgling Hartford. Ultimately, the Barnard Surname DNA Project (posted on the Internet at www.family.dranrab.com) may establish the existence or non-existence of the relationship between Francis and Bartholomew.
Of Francis’ kinsmanship to a John Barnard we have more substance. Henry R. Stiles, 1892, The History and Genealogies of Ancient Windsor, Connecticut; Including East Windsor, South Windsor, Bloomfield, Windsor Locks, and Ellington, 1635–1891, v. II, p. 58, refers to John as the “brother” of Francis (although he could have been an uncle, cousin, or other; if Francis were his real brother, it is reasonable that John would have referred to Francis as his brother, not his kinsman, in naming him executor of his will). More importantly, Stiles specifically states that both settled in Hartford until about 1659 and then moved to Hadley, Mass.:
The W[indsor] Barnards [are] supp[osed] to have descend. from Francis, who, with his bro[ther] John both first sett[led] at Htfd.; rem[oved] to Hadley, Mass., in 1659. [John, maltster, probably came in the Francis, from Ipswich, 1634, with wife Mary, ae. 38; rem[oved] 1636 to Hartford, where he was an original prop[rieto]r; rem[oved] to Hadley 1659, and there died in 1664, leaving wid[ow] but no children. In his will he mentions his kinsman, Francis Barnard, as executor. Morgan and Thomas Bedient, children of his sister Mary, res[iding] in Eng[land]; and children of his kinsman, Henry Hayward of Wethersfield. His wid[ow] left much of her [property] to her bro[ther]s, Daniel and William Stacey of Burnham, mear Malden, Co. Essex, England.—Mem. Hist. Hartford Co., i. 229.]
The Genealogical Dictionary of New England Settlers, v.1, p. 121 (per Ancestry.com), basically parrots Stiles’ information on John, adding that he was originally at Cambridge, MA, and “was perhaps the freeman of 4 Mar. 1635”, along with new details of the date death of his wife and provisions of his will:
John Barnard, Cambridge, MA, came, probably in the Francis from Ipswich, England, in 1634, aged 36, with his wife Mary, aged 38 [See also Banks, Charles Edward, Planters of Commonwealth; a Study of Emigrants. Baltimore; Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1961, p. 122, which lists a John, age 36, and a Mary, age 38, as arriving in New England in 1634 (per Barnard, Roy, 1997, op. Cit. P. 51)], and was perhaps the freeman of 4 Mar. 1635; removed 1636 to Hartford and then to Hadley in 1659 or soon after, and died in 1664, leaving no children. He left good estate and made his kinsman Francis Barnard executor, giving much to Morgan and Thomas Bedient, children of his sister Mary, then living in Old England, who came over to enjoy it. His widow Mary died the next year and she gave much of her estate to Daniel and William Stacy, of Barnham, near Malden in Co. Essex, her brothers, and 10 pounds to bring up Thomas, son of Francis Bedient to school.
Specifically, John Barnard’s will, dated 21 May 1664 and proved 27 September 1664, left to “Francis Barnard” ₤2 and to “John Barnard his [Francis’] son” ₤3, per Hampshire County, Massachusetts, Court Records 1:35–37 (as cited in Anderson, R. A., et al., 1999, The Great Migration; Immigrants to New England 1634–1635, v. 1, A-B, p. 159). In his wife Mary’s will, dated 7 February 1664[/5] and proved 28 March 1665, Mary bequeathed, among items to others, “the rest of my wearing linen” to “my nurse & the wife of Francis Barnard to be divided between them”; to “Francis Barnard” moveables and to “his wife” moveables; to “his son Thomas ten pounds to be improved in bringing him up at school” and “my new Bible”; residue to “the children of my brother[s] Daniell & William Stace (living in old England at Burnam near Maldon in Essex) to be equally divided between them,” according to certain conditions, but if the conditions are not met, then to “the aforesaid Thomas Barnard”; “what of my household goods is to bhe set to sale … my nurse & the wife of Francis Barnard may have the said refusal thereof”; “my friends Richard Goodman & Francis Barnard to be my executors and overseers”; “my friends Goody Ward & Goody Barnard” to help them in distributing the linen and woolen goods”, per Hampshire County, Massachusetts, Court Records 1:48–50 (as cited in Anderson, R. A., et al., 1999, The Great Migration; Immigrants to New England 1634–1635, v. 1, A-B, p. 159–160).
Anderson, R. A., et al., 1999, The Great Migration; Immigrants to New England 1634–1635, v. 1, A-B, p. 161, further states: “The Francis Barnard who is named in the will, and also later became an administrator of the estate, was presumably also a close kinsman of John Barnard.”
The closeness of John and Francis in their both settling in Hartford by the early 1640s and removing to Hadley, and in Francis serving as John’s executor argues that Francis probably also accompanied John and Mary on their voyage to the New World. To date a record of Francis’ immigration has not been found. According to John Camden Hotten, ed., The Original Lists of Persons of Quality… (London 1874; rpt.Baltimore 1974), as cited in Anderson, R. A., et al., 1999, p. 161,
“John Bernard,” aged 36, and “Mary his wife,” aged 38, sailed for New England on “the last of April 1634” on the Francis of Ipswich; with them were “Fayth Newell,” aged 14, and “Henry Haward,” aged 7 [Hotten 278–79].
Francis would have been 17 or 18 years of age (if born in 1616) and, as a young adult, may not have been considered as being part of John’s family. Whether or not Francis accompanied John on the Francis from Ipswich in1634, he must have arrived in MA and settled in Hartford by 1644 (per his marriage record).
One reference does state that a “John arrived in Massachusetts in 1634 with family” [Colket, Meredith B., Jr., Founders of Early American Families: Emigrants… Cleveland: General Court of Order…, 1975, p. 18, per Barnard, Roy, 1997, op. cit., p. 53]. This reference may be to another John Barnard, age 30 years, who is known to have arrived also in 1634 with his wife Phebe and sons John and Samuel in the Elizabeth from Ipswich, as per Banks, Charles Edward, Topographical Dictionary of 2885 English Emigrants: Baltimore; Genealogical Publishing Co., 1957, p. 116, as cited in Barnard, Roy, The New World Book of Barnards: Halbert’s Family Heritage, Ohio, 1997, p. 51; and Genealogical Dictionary of New England Settlers per Ancestry.com. This John and Phebe are the progenitors of what has become to be known as the Watertown (MA) line of Barnards. These two families of Barnards departed from Ipswich, bound for the New World, in separate ships, the Elizabeth and the Francis, on the very same day, 10 April 1634, and the question remains, Were they related or was it a coincidence?, according to William A. Barnard, writing in Barnard Lines, Spring 1981 issue, p. 8. Again, the Barnard Surname DNA Project (posted on the Internet at www.family.dranrab.com) may ultimately establish the existence or non-existence of the relationship between Francis (and his kinsman John) and John Barnard, the progenitor of the Watertown line. A very promising lead to an established relationship was realized on 30 Sept. 2005 when WMB received his DNA results from DNA Heritage: all 43 markers, except 4, were identical with those of William “Bill” Asher Barnard, of Seattle, WA, a descendant of John Barnard of Watertown, MA. Bill is six generations and some 260 years removed from John Davis Barnard, with two marker differences. If related, Bill and WMB would be at least 11 generations separated, so another two marker differences may very well be expected.
From the preceding we are given the intelligence that Francis and John moved to Hartford in 1636, and that Bartholomew was also an early settler of Hartford. Evidence for each being in Hartford in the late part of the first half of the 17th century is as follows: for Francis, his recorded marriage to Hannah Meruell on 15 Aug. 1644 [Hartford vital records, vol. FFS, p. 26, and vol. D, p. 21, record that Francis Barnard married Hanna Merrell on 15 Aug. 1644; “Meruell” is pencilled in over “Merrell”—per Barbour Collection on microfilm in the Connecticut Historical Society]; for Bartholomew, his recorded marriage to “Sara Burchard” on 24/25 Oct. 1647 [Hartford vital records, vol. FFS, p. 27, and vol. D, p. 23—per Barbour Collection.] ; and for John, Hartford court records dating back to 7 May 1640, in which John apparently was serving as an executor of the estate of one Thomas Johnson [Trumbull, J. H., 1850, The Public Records of the Colony of Connecticut: Hartford; Brown & Parsons (reprinted 1968 by The Connecticut Historical Society), v. 1, p. 49, 55. John also served Hartford court jury duty on 2 March 1642 and was fined 2 shillings for not appearing for Hartford court jury duty on 28 Dec. 1648 (Trumbull, v. 1, p. 81 and 174).].
Before proceeding to a profile of Francis, it should be noted that these years were the settlement and fledgling years for Hartford and adjoining areas. These were the years at the very beginning of deteriorating relations with the native Indians, which beginning in 1637 culminated in “King Philip’s War”, 1675–77. A brief review here of the settlement of the river towns is appropriate.
According to Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1967, v. 11, p. 135, “The first settlement was made by Dutch from New Amsterdam, who built a fort in 1633 at the mouth of Park river, a narrow and muddy branch of the Connecticut, which they held until 1654. In 1635, 60 English settlers came from New Towne (now Cambridge), Massachusetts. In 1636 the First Church of Christ (Centre Congregational), which was organized in New Towne (1632), moved to Hartford with most of its congregation under the leadership of Thomas Hooker and Samuel Stone.” Francis and John may well have been among Hooker’s company, as was possibly Bartholomew.
Between the time of the building of the fort, “Good Hope”, by the Dutch in 1633 at Hartford and the settlement there by the Hooker group in 1636, the two towns of Windsor and Wethersfield were established just north and south of Hartford, respectively. In 1633 Capt. Holmes sailed up the Connecticut River with a commission from the Governor of Plymouth to challenge the Dutch, if necessary, and to establish a fort just north of Hartford:
Holmes, the Pilgrim captain, sailed up the river and passed safely the Dutch fort. The threats of its builders were as smoke without ball, though from behind its slender earthwork the garrison threatened and blustered…[Sailing to what is now Windsor, he] bought land of the sachems he carried with him, landed with a picked garrison, put up the ready-made frame-house prepared at Plymouth, sent the vessel home, and had his house well surrounded with a palisade before the Dutch could take any definite action…
But there was still to follow another exhibition of Dutch bluster. Seventy men, girt about with all the panoply of war and with colors flying, appeared before the sturdy little trading house at the mouth of the Farmington [river]. They marched up, but, fearing to shed blood, consented to a parley and withdrew…” [Andrews, Charles McLean, 1889, The River Towns of Connecticut; A Study of Wethersfield, Hartford, and Windsor: Baltimore, Publication Agency of the John Hopkins University.]
Wethersfield apparently was settled in the autumn of the next year, 1634. “There has long been a tradition that a few Watertown [Mass.] people came in 1634 to Connecticut and passed a hard winter in hastily erected log huts at Pyquag, the Indian name of Wethersfield…” [Andrews, 1889, op. cit., p. 13]
Relations of the early settlers of the river towns with the Indians rapidly deteriorated. Events are detailed in George Madison Bodge, 1906, Soldiers in King Philip’s War; Being a Critical Account of That War with a Concise History of the Indian Wars of New England From 1620–1677 (reprinted 1967 by Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore). In April 1637 Indians waylaid some of the people of Wethersfield, killed six men and three women, and captured two girls (later redeemed and returned by the Dutch). On 1 May, the General Court at Hartford, serving the river towns, voted “an offensive war against the Pequods”. Other groups of Indians became involved, and hostilities continued to 1654, only to be renewed again 1675–77 in what is known as “King Philip’s War”, Philip being Metacomet (Metacom or Pometacom), the not so friendly son of Massasoit, the friendly sachem associated with the Pilgrims at Plymouth. It was during these times of hostility with the Indians that Francis and his family lived first in Hartford and then, after 1659, in Hadley, Mass., and subsequently in nearby river towns along the Connecticut River. Two of Francis’ sons—John and Joseph—both met untimely deaths in conflicts with the Indians, John in 1675 at the Battle of Bloody Brook, and Joseph in 1695 at the Massacre at Indian Bridge. John died without issue, but Joseph had already sired a multitude of children, including Joseph, Jr., the progenitor of most of the Barnards of Ancient Windsor.
A death date of 3 Feb. 1698 at 81 years for Francis suggests that he was born in 1616. One Internet website source, based principally on Barnard family research by David Evans, New Canaan, CT, in 1975 (Evans, 1975) [http://www.bearhaven.com/family/franklin/d0003; use family 1076 for Francis], identifies his birthplace as Stratford-on-Avon, England, and his place of death as Hadley, MA, consistent with his generally accepted birth in England and death at Hadley or nearby Hatfield. As noted earlier, Francis’ marriage to Hannah Marvin/Meruell on 15 Aug. 1644, recorded in Hartford Vital Records, is one of the few (if only) lines of contemporary evidence that Francis resided in Hartford at this time. That Francis had six children—Joseph, Hannah, John, Sarah, Samuel, and Thomas—and that he married Frances Foote, widow of John Dickinson and daughter of Nathaniel Foote, on 21 Aug. 1677 at Hadley or Deerfield after the death of Hannah ca. 1675 appear generally accepted. Evans (1975) lists an early wife, Mary Watson (died ca. 1642), and names her the mother of Joseph (“1641”-1695); however Joseph’s death at age 45 years, inscribed on his tombstone (see hereafter), implies a birth year for Joseph as 1650, when he would most probably have been born to Hannah, as were the other five children. (The date of Joseph’s birth, however, does not rule out this possible early marriage.) Other Internet websites repeat without any evidence the early marriage to a Mary Watson.
A petition of Francis was heard “Att a Generall Court for Elections, held at Boston, 16th May, 1683” which received the following disposition: “In answer to the petition of Francis Barnard, humbly desiring this Courts favor to order him tenn pounds mony out of what is due to him from the country, as in his peticon, &c, it is ordered, that the Treasurer pay to the petitioner tenn pounds in or as money, & charge the same to the account of Hadley, provided the selectmen of sajd toune doe signify, vnder their hands, to the Treasurer, that there is so much due to the peticoner.”—per Shurtleff, Nathaniel B., ed., 1854, Records of the Governor and Company of the Massachusetts Bay in New England, v. 5, 1674–1686, p. 411, Boston, Press of William White (reproduced 1968 by AMS Press Inc., New York, NY)
Sylvester Judd, 1905, History of Hadley, makes numerous references to Francis Barnard and his children, and to Francis’ kinsman John Barnard.
In a few years following the death of the Rev. Thomas Hooker, which happened 7 July 1647, contention arose in the Hartford church, with the Rev. Samuel Stone and a majority of the church on one side, and a strong minority on the other. Some of the history and reasons for this discord are related in Judd (1905, Chpt. 1). The “withdrawers” petitioned to the General Court of Massachusetts in May 1658 for land, received a favorable response, and in October the town of Northampton voted to provide land. An Agreement or Engagment of those who intended to remove from Connecticut to Massachusetts is dated at Hartford 18 April 1659 and was signed by 59 individuals (and one not fully engaged), including Francis Barnard and his kinsman John Barnard. A copy of that Agreement is produced by Judd (1905, p. 11–12). The boundaries of a new town, Hadley, were laid out and an unknown number of the “engagers” “came up to inhabit at the said plantation” in 1659.
The plan of the village of Hadley (given in Judd, 1905, p. 24, and reproduced below) shows the street and highways, the 47 houselots (with figures denoting the number of acres in each lot), and the names of the proprietors in 1663. “M” in the street is the place where stood the first meeeting-house, built after 1663. The actual acreage received by each proprietor, however, varied according to sums the individual proprietors had put in “to take up lands by”. The names of the proprietors, the sums put in, the home-lot number and acreage are given in Judd (1905, p. 26): for his 100 pounds, Francis Barnard received a lot of 4 acres; John Barnard, for his 150 pounds, a lot of 6 acres.
The plan of the village of Hadley (reproduced from Judd, 1905, p. 24; see text above)
“John Barnard, who died in Hadley in 1664, had a malt-house in Hadley, and another in Wethersfield, and was called ‘malster.’…Francis Barnard had a malt-house.”—per Judd, Sylvester, 1905, History of Hadley: H. R. Huntting & Co., Springfield, MA, p. 66
Petition of Hadley against the impost or customs, 1669
“On the 7th of November, 1668, the General Court of Massachusetts ordered that duties should be imposed on goods and merchandise, and on horses, cattle and grain imported into this colony, after the first of March next. Petitions against this act were sent from some towns on the sea-board, and from Springfield, Northampton and Hadley on Connecticut River. These three towns apprehended that Connecticut would retaliate, and impose a tax on their produce sent down the river. The duty was reduced in 1669, and suspended as to Connecticut and Plymouth in 1670. The Hadley petition is [reproduced, with signatures, in Judd, 1905, p. 75–77]. It appears to be in the hand-writing of William Goodwin.” Both Francis Barnard and John Barnard were among the 92 that signed the petition.
In 1670 Dr. John Westcarr, first husband of Francis’ daughter Hannah, was tried for selling liquor to Indians, an infraction of the General Court in May 1657 which forbid all persons to sell or give to any Indian rum, strong water, wine, strong beer, brandy, cider, perry, or any other strong liquors, under the penalty of 40 shillings for every pint so sold or given. Westcarr was adjudged guilty and fined 40 pounds; he appealed to the Court of Assistants at Boston, “was bound in 80₤, and Francis Barnard and John Coleman in 40₤ each, as sureties.” Per Judd, Sylvester, 1905, History of Hadley: H. R. Huntting & Co., Springfield, MA, p. 64
“Great Riot in Hadley, chiefly of young men, Feb. 15, 1676.—At March court, 1676, nine men were charged with being actors in a riotous assembly in Hadley, on the 15th of February, where there was a public affronting of authority, in the stopping and hindering of the execution of a sentence which was ordered by authority. The record does not tell what the sentence was, nor against whom it was directed. It was in the time of Philip’s war, when there were many soldiers in Hadley.
“Edward Grannis was a leader in the riotous assembly, and said the sentence should not be executed. He was adjudged to be whipped 12 stripes, well laid on. Jonathan Gilbert, Jr. and Joseph Selding were bound in a bond of 10 pounds each for good behavior. Thomas Dickinson was fined 3₤. Nehemiah Dickinson, William Rooker, Thomas Croft and Jonathan Marsh were fined 5₤ each. Samuel Barnard was present in the riotous assembly with his club, though his father, Francis Barnard, commanded him not to be there, and he was accused of plotting with some of the garrison soldiers to go to Narraganset. The court adjudged him to be whipped 12 stripes, but he made a humble acknowledgment, and his father pleaded for him, and his sentence was changed to a fine of 5₤.”—per Judd, Sylvester, 1905, History of Hadley: H. R. Huntting & Co., Springfield, MA, p. 90
At the October 1672 session of the General Court, the people of Hadley asked for an enlargement of their township, the limits of which the Court had earlier defined in October 1663. The Rev. John Russell wrote the petition, and 38 persons, including Francis Barnard, signed it. In response, the General Court, 7 May 1673, expanded the town’s boundary eastward. (Judd, Sylvester, 1905, History of Hadley: H. R. Huntting & Co., Springfield, MA, p. 185)
Among the 79 names of persons taxed at Hadley in 1681 for building Fort River Bridge were Francis Barnard, Joseph Barnard, and Goodwife Barnard for one lot, and Samuel Barnard for a separate lot. (Judd, Sylvester, 1905, History of Hadley: H. R. Huntting & Co., Springfield, MA, p. 203). “Goodwife Barnard” was Frances (Foote) Dickinson, married to Francis Barnard in 1677.
The list of 82 individuals taxed for Hadley town debts of 1686, the rate being made in the early part of 1687, included Samuel Barnard and Francis Barnard for their separate lots. (Judd, Sylvester, 1905, History of Hadley: H. R. Huntting & Co., Springfield, MA, p. 204)
Monies and realty bequeathed and dedicated for the purposes of education in Hadley were mismanaged during the 1670s and first part of the 1680s. There was also competition of these resources between promoters of a Grammar School and an “English School.” On 23 August 1686 Francis Barnard, Samuel Barnard and three others were voted by the town “to make demand of the school committee of all the produce, increase & rents of lands & estates abovesaid, and accruing thereto, which are at present in their hands undisposed.” (Judd, Sylvester, 1905, History of Hadley: H. R. Huntting & Co., Springfield, MA, p. 51
In a list of changes in the owners and occupiers of homelots in Hadley from 1663 to 1687 are listed the following:
“Samuel Barnard had of his father, Francis B., the lot that had been John Barnard’s.” (Judd, Sylvester, 1905, History of Hadley: H. R. Huntting & Co., Springfield, MA, p. 205) This John Barnard apparently was the “kinsman” of Francis and one of the original proprietors of Hadley, not Francis’ son who was killed by the Indians in 1675.
Each year, Hadley was served by townsmen, called selectmen after 1673. These numbered five annually until 1738, after which time the number varied. Francis Barnard served as a townsmen or selectmen in 1669, 1673, 1676, 1683, 1686, and 1688. (Judd, Sylvester, 1905, History of Hadley: H. R. Huntting & Co., Springfield, MA, p. 446, 447)