The headstone says, Rosanah Wife of George A. Barnard. Who would know she was married at 16, mother at 17, widow at 18? Years later but still in her early 20s she became the wife of George Allen Barnard, and together they became my great-great-great grandparents.
How did she feel, in barely-settled Kittanning, widow and mother at only 18? Her mother had died, and her step-mother was barely older than she.
I wonder if she saw little but a hopeless life before her. She lived 81 years, and her son lived to be 98. I like how her memorial dominates the skyline at Glade Run Presbyterian Church cemetery, Dayton, Armstrong County Pennsylvania.
7. George Allen Barnard (1809–1885) was the son of George Barnard and Sally Higley. Rosanah Johnston (1814–1896) was the daughter of David R. Johnston and Isabella Robinson.
6. George Barnard (1782–1862) was the son of Francis Barnard Jr. and Chloe Mills.
5. Francis Barnard Jr. (1741–1828) was the son of Francis Barnard Sr. and Lucretia Pinney.
4. Francis Barnard Sr. (1719–1789) was the son of Joseph Barnard Jr. and Abigail Griswold.
3. Joseph Barnard Jr. (1681–1736) was the son of Joseph Barnard Sr. and Sarah Strong.
2. Joseph Barnard Sr. (ca. 1650–1695) was the son of Francis Barnard and Hannah Meruell. Sarah Strong (1655/56–1732/33) was the daughter of Elder John Strong and Abigail Ford.
1. Francis Barnard (ca. 1617–1697/98). Hannah Meruell (ca. 1627-ca. 1675). Elder John Strong (1605–1699). Abigail Ford (1608–1688).